Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

For most things in life, I am the ultimate planner. I like to know the who, what, where, when, why and how of everything. (We can thank the journalist in me for that.) I hate surprises -- just ask my husband. (I really hate surprises!) But, when it comes to meals for the week, I've always gone to the store with a few ideas -- and a few things I really wanted to make for the week -- but, the rest was ad lib. It would always work out ... well, until a late work day, a bad commute, a sick kid, etc. 

Our load for the week.
(I'm thinking I may have to investigate
how to make yogurt, since we eat so much,
but then that's probably just
crazy talk.)
Yesterday, we did it. 

We planned dinners and lunches for the entire week, and breakfasts for the rest of the holiday weekend. For example, the Italian bread that's rising in the kitchen right now will be sandwich bread for lunches and serve as the perfect base for the French toast that we'll have tomorrow morning.

The bill was a little steep, but, including eight days of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, we're paying less than $7 per meal, per person. (But, I must say, I think this new venture might lead me into the mad world of couponing. hmmmm....) But, when you look at our menu for the week, the bill really wasn't that bad: 
Saturday's dinner (and Sunday's lunch):
Cajun rice with vegetables.

  • Ribs (Really, who could order ribs anywhere for $7?!)
  • Chicken and biscuits (or chicken pot pie)
  • Risotto 
  • Corn and potato chowder
  • Spaghetti squash with roasted veggies
  • Pizza
  • Chicken noodle soup
  • Cajun rice with vegetables -- This was one of my favorites growing up. Now I know why my mom would only make it on my birthday. It's a ton of work, and uses a TON of vegetables, but it's SO worth it. 
A good thing about this week's menu: a lot of the dinner leftovers will either be lunch or can be frozen, which will save us in the future.

Oatmeal bread (bottom) and
banana bread (the other loaf
is already in the freezer)
To help prepare for the week ahead, I made homemade chicken stock last night. We have enough in the fridge for chicken pot pie, chicken noodle soup, chowder ... and maybe even risotto. We also have some in the freezer for an upcoming week later this month. 

I also made banana bread, oatmeal bread and Italian bread. Each of the bread recipes make plenty to have for this week and to freeze for the future. 

Now, I know this weekend is atypical. First, it's been dreary and hot, so we're not too interested in venturing out. I'm also taking advantage of the long weekend to do as much "plan ahead" work as I can. This will make future weekends a little less kitchen intensive.

So, we'll see how this planning works. Now, off to bake some Italian bread. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to eat at your house :) A friend has a yogurt machine and she LOVES it - might be worth checking out! Not sure if you have Aldi's down there, but we wouldn't survive here without it - produce is extremely cheap, often less then half of any other market (sometimes I have to be choosy or make a different decision, but in general no issue). Maybe once you get your staples in stock it won't be so much? Or get those coupons out - I don't think I spend that in a month :) Or invest in a frezer if you have room - I have 3, lol!!! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete