Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Leftovers?

As anyone would tell you, I don't do leftovers. Well, never did leftovers ... until now. 

Labor Day Dinner:
Fresh, local corn,
Carolina-style ribs, peaches and
baked beans (from our
old pantry stock).
In the past, there was the rare occasion where I'd make a big pot of soup and immediately freeze half. I insisted -- and still do -- that those aren't really leftovers; they were "plan ahead" dinners. And then there is my family "sauce," which really isn't leftovers. Afterall, the Neopolitan sauce just gets better as it sits and reheats, sits and reheats.

Well, tonight, I'm turning over a new leaf, or at least trying to. Dinner is a smorgasbord  from the last few nights: risotto, cajun rice and ribs. It's a left-over bonanza.

I've never been impressed by the texture or flavor of leftovers. I'm not sure why. I don't distinctly remember any awful leftover traumatic experience from childhood. But, I would rather make something new than eat something old. Tonight marks just the first of many celebrations of good eats, or re-eats.

Now, the trick moving forward will be finding recipes that
reheat (and/or freeze beautifully) or provide a perfect foundation for repurposing.


For those who like leftovers (and I know plenty of people who love them), do you have any favorite recipes? Any tips or tricks for a newbie?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for moving forward on you love/hater relationship with leftovers!! I made pot pie last week and that is notorious for drying out in the fridge. I just made another batch of bechemel sauce with a few new flavors and voila- like a brand new meal. I confess to always using premade piecrust. Also- where do we stand with pumpkin bars? -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin bars ... later this month. For sure. Pumpkin is in the pantry!

    ReplyDelete