Saturday, September 8, 2012

Supermarket Success!!

All right .... So, last week marked our family's first official planning session for the week's meals. We spent just about $7 per meal per person, but that included some pretty high-end dishes. 

This week, the goal is simplicity. 

There is nothing that says dinner has to be super elegant every night of the week. Our motto is homemade and wholesome.  I just have to keep telling myself that. So long as it's tasty and healthy, does it matter if it roasted for four hours and took two hours to prepare? No. It doesn't and it shouldn't -- at least not every night. 

This week, I found some great sounding recipes. And, more importantly, they're recipes that I think the kiddos will eat ... and enjoy!

When totaling everything for this week's meals, including lunches and breakfasts, we checked out at the supermarket at under $2 per person per meal! What a tremendous savings we're making in just one week! 

We have a slow cooker recipe and a few "light" casseroles on the menu -- including a spaghetti squash and spinach casserole that I'm dying to make. All the recipes I found take less than an our to prep and cook, so they're perfect for mid-week chaos. And the best part is, the simplicity of the recipes means no weekend prep, so I get to spend all day tomorrow with the family. Now, that's something I can get behind!

2 comments:

  1. Love you blog Elizabeth! How was the spaghetti squash and spinach casserole? If you recommend it, I'd love to recipe!

    Jamie Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie! With all the chaos this week, this was one of the recipes I didn't get to. :-( But, I'm really looking forward to it mid-week (after I get back from a business trip). I'll definitely keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete