Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Stock or Not to Stock?

That is the question -- at least the one we're debating in my house this week. 

As we've been working toward homemade happiness, I'm trying to find the balance of what's possible and what's realistic. What's clear: the two aren't always the same.

During our shopping trip on Sunday, I put three boxes of stock in the cart.  It was not something I planned to do; it just kind of happened. And I can honestly say that my hubby was not too happy with my spontaneity.  It seems he really likes homemade stock (who doesn't?) and he also likes the succulent fall-off-the-bone meat that you get when you patiently make homemade stock.
Tuesday's dinner: Mulligatawny.
The soup that became famous
on Seinfeld headlined in
our house tonight. Delish,
even if it was made from
stock in a box.

But I find I use so much stock that it's just unrealistic (and impossible) to keep up. Now, if my work weeks (including commute) didn't top 60 hours a week, and if it wasn't my favorite time of year, and if I didn't have two rambunctious children, I might be willing to sacrifice time each weekend to make stock. But, right now, it's time I'm not willing to devote *every* weekend. 

I promised my deflated hubby that I will make stock once a month -- that's a no brainier. And maybe when it's cold and we're housebound, I'll make stock more often. But for now, we'll just do it once a month.

So does that make our dinners any less homemade? Am I wrong?

My husband says yes, emphatically.

My tummy says yes.

My heart says no.


* * *

Mulligatawny (adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_mulligatawny.html)

Oh, and it's delicious even with stock from a box!
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons hot Madras curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup white basmati rice
  • 12 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted, optional

Method
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples, curry powder, cumin, coriander and ginger and cook, stirring often, until the apples begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 12 minutes.

Add chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in coconut milk and return to a simmer. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment