Monday, October 15, 2012

Ooooh, Grandma, My Tummy is Full!

We have returned from a week at Grandma's house -- a week of all kinds of food we wouldn't typically indulge in. I mean, we're talking rich, slathered ribs; decadent desserts; honey baked ham; and the list goes on. (Just ask my waistline!)  After three days back home, I'm still full. Seriously. Full.

I was chatting with a colleague this morning over breakfast, and at that time, even the yogurt I was eating was too much. So for dinner tonight, I decided to go light. Mexican! 

I know, I know....how can I seriously use Mexican and light in the same sentence? I mean, when we think of many of our favorites from our local Mexican eatery, we're talking smothered enchiladas; crispy, salty chips; and a lot of cheese.

Well, my favorite Mexican foods -- especially those from La Cena de Moi -- are chock full of fresh veggies, from guacamole and sautéed onions and peppers to lip-smacking pico de gallo. Yes, the guacamole is a little rich, but it's so good for you, and even a little of that was just perfect. Tonight's dinner, paired with a crisp wine and **lightly** filled cheese quesadilla, was just what this tummy needed.

Now, I just need to spend the next five weeks cooking light to prepare for a repeat visit to grandmas for Thanksgiving. 


* * *


One of my all-time favorites:
Pico de Gallo. Ole!
Pico de Gallo
  • 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced

  • 1/4 red onion, chopped

  • Jalepeno (to taste)

  • Cilantro (a few tablespoons, chopped)

  • Minced garlic, up to 1 tablespoon

  • Juice from 1 lime

  • Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate 20 minutes to let flavors marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment