Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Bet ...

So, yesterday, my husband and youngest daughter decided to do Mommy a favor and do the grocery shopping. Without a list. Without telling me. As a surprise. (I was with our other daughter at gymnastics.)

Yes, I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Although he had the best of intentions, we'll have to go back to the store today for some staples he overlooked -- like, um, milk -- but he had the best of intentions. But, my husband also likes to be clever. He thinks it's cute. (Eh, it's somewhat endearing ,*smile*.)

Anyway, when he walked in the door, he was so proud of himself.

"I have a bet for you," he said with a smile on his face. "And if you can do it, you get a margarita."

Well, anyone who knows me knows I love a good margarita. And a good bet.

So, he pulls out a three-pound bag of cranberries. 

"You have to find something to do with all of these cranberries," he said. "And then you get a margarita."

Really? How is that fair?

Pumpkin cranberry bread.
Every time I make a recipe, I should get a margarita. 

Right??

So, I started the bet yesterday by making pumpkin cranberry bread. Well, that only takes care of 1.5 cups of the berries. And, slap forehead, he likes the bread so much, he declared last night that he'll start buying a "surprise ingredient" each week from here on out. (Since when did I wake up on the set of Iron Chef?)

I still have well over two pounds to work with. So, I do not see a margarita in my future any time soon. According to the bag, the cranberries will stay good for four weeks, so I have some time. I do plan on making some hearty cranberry sauce for our annual Fauxgiving we host with some friends the week before Thanksgiving. But, I need some other ideas. 

Anyone have any good cranberry recipes out there? I really would like a margarita.

* * *

Pumpkin Cranberry bread (Courtesy of Ocean Spray)


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Grease and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Combine remaining ingredients, except cranberries, in a separate mixing bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moist. Stir in cranberries.

Spread evenly in a loaf pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes one loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment